The guidelines for a safe fireworks party are very simple to observe:
FOLLOW THE FIREWORK CODE
- Always buy from a LICENCED retailer.
- Do not buy fireworks from UNLICENSED
- Sellers on Facebook Market Place/eBay/Gumtree/Amazon
- They may not have the regular safeguards in place for transactions.
- They may be selling illegal fireworks that are not up to UK fireworks safety standards.
- If they are UNLICENSED, they ARE breaking the LAW.
- Only buy fireworks marked CE (BSEN 15947).
- Always keep fireworks in a closed box. Take them out one at a time and close the box.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket.
- Let your neighbours know you will have a small display.
- You can use social media groups to get that message across.
- Avoid setting fireworks off late at night, particularly if it is a school night.
- Do not set fireworks off in the street or other public places; it is against the law.
- Never throw fireworks; it is dangerous.
- Be considerate to your neighbours, especially if they have pets or small children.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Do not light fireworks under the influence of alcohol.
- Never fool around with fireworks.
- Light fireworks one at a time at arm’s length, at the end of the fuse, using a safety firework lighter or a portfire.
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves, even when lighting them.
- Never give sparklers to a child under the age of 5.
- Ideally, you should never go back to a lit firework. However,
- – Some of the new CE fireworks do come with a dual fuse option.
- – Please read and follow these instructions VERY carefully.
- Never throw spent fireworks on a bonfire.
STAY SAFE, BE CONSIDERATE, AND DON’T BECOME A NUISANCE.